Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Brantley Gilbert taking show, career to next level


by Scott Kiefer

Rising country star Brantley Gilbert has been making a name for himself in Nashville this past year, but that's no surprise to his fans who have followed him from a grass-roots career in an almost cult status. Once they are infected with his open, honest lyrics of life, and a heavy back beat they become loyal to the core.
"This past year or so has been amazing," Brantley said in a telephone conversation on Monday. "We have done a lot of things and moved up, but we still have a lot of work to do."
So much for resting on his accomplishments and taking a breather. Gilbert and his band have put together a new stage show, and begins 2012 with the first show of Eric Church's Blood, Sweat & Beers Tour as the support act on Thursday in Arkansas, and the tour moves to Cape Girardeau Friday night.

"I guess that Eric picked us for the tour," Brantley said."We've worked a few shows with him, and I know him, so I am expecting a good time, once we get settled in."
Brantley spent a good portion of summer 2011 on the Willie Nelson Country Throwdown Tour, and then proceeded to headline some dates of his own, selling out places such as The Pageant in St. Louis.
"Last year was really big for me," Gilbert said. "I am still really in a state of shock of how well things have been going. It's been a long time coming, but we are ready to keep this thing going and rockin'."
Gilbert took a brief amount of time off during the holidays, but immediately began preparing for the tour with Church.
"We have a new lighting tech and we've been in rehearsal to prepare for this tour," Gilbert said. "It's a whole new ball game for us, because we are going into bigger venues, and we have to make sure the show is tight, and entertaining for our fans."

Gilbert said that rehearsals have went well, and he and the band are excited to get started.
"We will have a 45 minute set, so we have worked hard to fit in as much music as we can for our portion of the show," Gilbert said. "There's a lot that goes into a big tour like this, and we're ready."
With the addition of a new stage show and lighting director, Gilbert is proud of one thing in particular.
"I love our brand new backdrop for the stage," Gilbert said. "It's hand-brushed, not air brushed, and it's awesome. It's things like that that we pay a lot of attention to detail on. Everything's gotta be right."
Gilbert's fans are also a major part of his
"I'll tell ya buddy, these folks have followed me and they are supporting my new single, and it's because of them that I get to do what I want for a living," Gilbert said. "It's my job to go out there and give them the best. That's why we are paying so much detail to this show."
Gilbert's fans have come from the beginning, because they have supported him as a songwriter, gaining noteriety from penning Jason Aldean's "My Kinda Party," and "Dirt Road Anthem," both which went to number one. "Anthem" was also nominated for the Country Music Association's Song of the Year in November.
After being exposed to his music, fans have flocked to his shows and you can see them singing every word to nearly every song he performs, most notably "Kick It In The Sticks," which has taken a life of it's own.
Gilbert's current single "You Don't Know Her Like I Do," is currently number 34 on the country charts and has a momentum to hit number one, as his previous single, "Country Must Be Country Wide."
"This new single, it's hot, brother," Gilbert said. "It's poppin' faster than 'Country Wide.' I think because it's a true to heart song. People can relate to it. We are real excited about it."
Gilbert said that he is on the Blood, Sweat & Beers tour through May or June, and then it's on to another big tour.
"We are going to be out with Eric until sometime in June I think," Gilbert said. "I'm not sure the exact date, but then we are moving on to a tour with a big, big artist. I can't say right now who, but it's gonna be another big tour."
So what about working on new material?
"Well, like I said, we have been really busy getting this show together," Gilbert said. "I haven't had a lot of time to do any writing. After we get settled in on this trip, I am sure there will be some time for me to work on some things. I have had some ideas, sure. I get them all the time. But, when I am alone on the bus, I can really concentrate on my writing and put things together how they need to be. Songwriting can be really easy or really tough, it just depends. You gotta be in the right frame of mind, to make it click. I am a perfectionist on writing, it's just gotta be right, and it drives me crazy.. I just haven't  had the time, but I will, real soon. For now, it's about rolling out there to be with the fans and giving them the best show we know how. It's gonna be a balls to the wall, all out good time."


Who: Blood, Sweat & Beers Tour featuring Eric Church with Brantley Gilbert
When: Friday, January 20
Where: Show Me Center, Cape Girardeau
Tickets: 573.651.5000; www.showmecenter.biz/

No comments:

Post a Comment